As a Runner, if you like what Pick’n Run is doing, there are several ways you can get involved.
1. Start collecting trash data by taking pictures and using the Pick’n Run web site and mobile applications; and provide feedback on how to improve the web site and mobile applications
2. Start collecting location data for trash cans by using the Pick’n Run web site and mobile applications; and provide feedback on how to improve the web site and mobile applications
3. Organize trash runs to locate and pick up trash
4. Purchase a Pick’n Run running shirt (short sleeve or long sleeve), a backpack (under development), a waistpack (under development), and/or a pair of gloves (under development) to more easily pick up trash on your runs — tools to help with picking up trash
5. Sign-up on the email list to stay informed
6. Tell your friends about Pick’n Run so that more people “clean up the world one run at a time”
How to take pictures of Trash
- Before going on a run, make sure your phone camera is configured to store the geolocation of the picture. That way, when you upload the picture to the Pick’n Run system, the Pick’n Run system will be able to locate no the map where you saw and/or picked up the trash during your run.
- When taking pictures, hold the camera as still as possible so that you get a clear picture of the trash. A clearer picture will help the system determine what various factors about the trash (e.g. the type of trash, the manufacturer of the trash, the unique type of product).
- If there is a bar code on the product / trash you are picking up, adjust the product so the bar code is showing in the picture. That way, the Pick’n Run application can try to determine who the manufacturer is and what product it is.